Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Inc. is seeking a Patent Attorney at the Executive Director level (AGC) to develop comprehensive global strategies for managing the patent life cycle of Regeneron late-stage products and discoveries, including addressing issues associated with biosimilars and other competitors. This new and unique in-house opportunity will require the patent attorney to work closely with other leaders at Regeneron to understand the scientific, business and legal challenges associated with our varied therapeutic portfolio. The patent attorney will be a part of a high-performing IP Group devoted to protecting Regeneron’s intellectual property around key molecules, platforms and other technologies and ensuring we are well-positioned to defend against potential IP challenges from our competitors.
This role is based at our HQ Research Campus in Tarrytown, NY - open to hybrid work (2 days onsite) but is not open for remote work
The attorney will also advise on emerging IP legal issues and play an active role in forming our response to current IP legislative developments and IP policy issues impacting Regeneron’s late-stage products. In addition, the attorney will be expected to contribute to administrative and legal projects intended to develop a Law Department displaying the highest legal and ethical standards.
As an Executive Director, Patent Attorney a typical day may include:
- Managing administrative patent proceedings, including Post Grant Review, Inter Partes Review, interferences, reexamination and reissue proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, as well as oppositions and other equivalent foreign proceedings;
- Collaborating closely with other members of the IP group and the Law Department, particularly the Dispute Resolution group, to help address IP issues associated with maintaining exclusivity for Regeneron’s late-stage products;
- Assisting in tracking new inventions and developing an appropriate patent portfolio related to late-stage products by interacting with our Therapeutics patent group and various scientific and corporate groups;
- Working with our collaborators and other external strategic partners in connection with developing a global IP strategy;
- Working with our Corporate Communications and Government Relations groups to help identify and manage communications relating to IP issues, particularly biosimilar-related issues;
- Maintaining a competitive intelligence platform, including patent landscape reviews, freedom to operate analyses and validity assessments of third-party IP; and
- Providing training and education programs to help Regeneron’s legal, scientific and corporate leaders understand IP issues and challenges.
This role may be for you if you have:
- A broad range of patent-related legal expertise.
- Experience in patent preparation and prosecution, IP due diligence, strategic counseling and licensing. Experience in IP litigation and drug regulatory affairs a plus.
- Exceptional communication skills, including presentation, interpersonal, writing and conflict resolution.
- Ability to independently oversee legal matters, manage the use of outside legal counsel and work collaboratively with other attorneys and personnel at Regeneron.
- Ability to set aggressive deadlines, handle multiple complex legal matters and see projects through to conclusion.
To be considered for this role you must possess a J.D. with excellent law school credentials and admitted to practice in at least one state, New York preferred. At least 16 years’ in-house and/or law firm experience combined with a Ph.D. in biological sciences, immunology a plus. Must be registered to practice before the US Patent and Trademark Office.
Does this sound like you? Apply now to take your first steps toward living the Regeneron Way! We have an inclusive and diverse culture that provides comprehensive benefits including health and wellness programs, fitness centers and equity awards, annual bonuses, and paid time off for eligible employees at all levels!
Regeneron is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion or belief (or lack thereof), sex, nationality, national or ethnic origin, civil status, age, citizenship status, membership of the Traveler community, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, familial status, marital or registered civil partnership status, pregnancy or parental status, gender identity, gender reassignment, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic in accordance with applicable laws and regulations. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application process. Please contact us to discuss any accommodations you think you may need.
The salary ranges provided are shown in accordance with U.S. law and apply to U.S. based positions, where the hired candidate will be located in the U.S. If you are outside the U.S, please speak with your recruiter about salaries and benefits in your location.
Salary Range (annually)